HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER
I never thought that it was easy to make homemade peanut butter but it actually is and now I love making my own it keeps in the fridge for about a weeks and tastes so much better knowing that it has been made by you.
Peanuts are a great source of protein, they are low in carbs and are a good source of healthy fats. A lot of people think that eating fats are bad but for you and some fats are bad to eat but in this case it is actually not. Studies have shown that eating high amounts of healthy fats do not necessarily contribute to weight gain but can help maintain a healthy weight status and reduce the risk of obesity.
However I would not go nuts (excuse the pun), and I know that at times it can be so difficult to put them down as they are ever so moreish! I would try to restrict yourself to a portion which would be the size of your palm. The same rule applies when it comes to eating peanut butter, eat a max of 2 tablespoons and eat fresh vegetables with it instead of bread sticks. Not only does this help to keep the calories down but you also provide your body with a good source of vitamins and minerals.
To make your own homemade peanut butter this is how.
2 cups of peanuts
1-2 tbsp peanut oil or olive oil
1-2 tbsp honey
Kosher salt to taste
DIRECTIONS FOR HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER
- Preheat oven to 350F / 177C. Place the peanuts on a baking sheet and cook for about 10 minutes. The roasting process brings out the flavours and the oils in the nuts but you can skip this stage if you don0t have much time.
- Place the peanuts into a food processor or use a handheld blender and pulse the peanuts until they are ground.
- Blitz the peanuts for another minutes and then push down the peanuts into the bottom of the blender
- Repeat the last step and you will see that peanut butter is starting to form
- Add the oil, (but be careful – you don’t want to add too much), the honey and a little bit of kosher salt to taste.
- Scrape out of blender and place in a seal tight container or jar.
- ENJOY! Be sure to consume within a week of making.
If you like this recipe and want some more peanut butter based snacks then check this out: Homemade Hummus