This is a great snack to keep in the fridge for when you are feeling hungry. I like to prepare snacks like this on a Sunday and have them ready for convenience for the rest of the week. Don’t forget that a portion is about a tablespoon so two tablespoons of hummus with vegetables or pita should suffice.
If you’d like to try something a little bit different, try this hummus recipe; https://jennuinefitness.com/roasted-red-pepper-hummus/
- 600g canned chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup freshley squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini (I made my own)
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the tahini paste
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions (Serves 12)
- Heat a skillet over medium to high heat. Add the sesame seeds and stir frequently until they brown. Be careful here as sesame seeds burn quite easily.
- Once they are roasted then let them cool then add them to a food prcessor or place them in a bowl and use a hand held blender.
- Add 3 tablesppons of olive oil and blend and add more oil until you reach the desired consistency.
- Makes about ¾ cup of tahini paste. Place in an air tight container and refrigerate. It will keep for several months.
For the hummus
- Blend ½ the lemon juice and all the ingredients except the chick peas and parsley for 5 seconds or so.
- Add the chick peas and blend adding a little water along the way if the mixture is too thick. Only add the lemon juice if required – do not over do it with this flavour.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories: 80 | Fat: 3.2g| Carbohydrate: 7g | Protein 4.3g
Inspired by thespruce.com