BROWN RICE CRUST QUICHE
Brown rice crust quiche is a fantastic alternative to the pastry version. I have always loved eating quiche but when I started to train I became more aware about different food groups. Above all, it is important to understand what goes into different recipes and also the way they make you feel.
For instance, I try to avoid eating foods like bread, pasta and pastry because they make me feel sluggish and I have difficulties digesting them. It is good to look for substitutes healthy alternatives that make you feel like you are eating what you love but are also getting a good nutritious kick out of it too.
Since I miss eating quiche I thought it would be a nice idea to make one with a brown rice crust instead of using the pastry.
INGREDIENTS – Serves 4
Total Time: 40 Min
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cooking Time: 20 Min
For the brown rice crust
- 270g brown rice crust
- 1 egg white
For the filling
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup red peppers
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup broccoli
- ½ cup spinach
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 175ml semi skimmed milk
- Herbs of your choice. e.g. basil, parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/350 °F/gas mark 4.
- To make the crust, mix the ingredients thoroughly, then press together with the back of spoon to make compact in quiche dish. I used a standard quiche dish which is 9 inches in diameter and 1 – 1¼ inches deep. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn up to 200 °C/400 °F/gas mark 6.
- Place your chosen vegetables in the base of the cooked brown rice crust.
- Mix the remainding ingredients with an imersion blender for 30 seconds or mix thoroughly then pour over the vegetables and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve with fresh spinach salad.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories: 439 | Fat: 10.2g| Carbohydrate: 52.8g | Protein 15.4g If you like this post then please check out – Homemade whole wheat tortilla wraps