I avoid eating foods like bread, pasta and pastry and I am always looking for substitutes that make you feel like you are eating what you love but are also getting a good nutritious kick out of it too. Since I miss eating quiche I thought it would be a nice idea to make one with a brown rice crust instead of using the pastry.
Brown Rice Crust Quiche – How to make it
Directions (Serves 4) Total Time: 40 Min Prep Time: 20 Min Cooking Time: 20 Min For the brown rice crust
- 270g brown rice crust
- 1 egg white
For the filling
- ½ cup broccoli
- ½ cup red peppers
- ½ cup spinach
- 3 large eggs
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 175ml semi skimmed milk
- Herbs of your choice. e.g. basil, parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/350 °F/gas mark 4.
- To make the crust, mix the ingredients thoroughly, then press together with the back of spoon to make compact in quiche dish. I used a standard quiche dish which is 9 inches in diameter and 1 – 1¼ inches deep. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn up to 200 °C/400 °F/gas mark 6.
- Place your chosen vegetables in the base of the cooked brown rice crust.
- Mix the remainding ingredients with an imersion blender for 30 seconds or mix thoroughly then pour over the vegetables and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve with fresh spinach salad.
Nutritional Information per serving Calories: 439 | Fat: 10.2g| Carbohydrate: 52.8g | Protein 15.4g If you like this post then please check out – Homemade whole wheat tortilla wraps